Monday, November 2, 2009

Tinkerbell and Sibling Rivalry..

Last Thursday was the beginning of our Halloween celebration here in Dublin. Steph was a Mexican, Tom was a china man, Sean was a rugby player and I was Tinkerbell (I don't know how many times I have to say that..haha) anyways Brooke was hosting a party in celebration of Halloween with candy corn, pumpkins and alcohol. It turned out to be a fun night. Though Sean and I left early so that we could watch the world series. (Side note: On Wednesday when Sean and I sat down at about 1am to watch the World Series.. of course we couldn't get any of the usual websites to work.. soo because I'm an understanding girl at how important the world series.. I pulled out my card and got us access to watch it. I just think its so cute how excited boys get over their sports)I ended up passing out before the game was over.Yankees won (Im sure Don is proud) I spent Friday in bed and being lazy. Friday night, after a day of doing nothing I decided I should at least made an attempt to do something so Tom and I went to meet Steph and her date at Doyles. I wasn't really in the mood to spend a lot of money soo we only stayed for a few hours. I ended up going into Mom mood tho when I realized how many drinks Stephs date was feeding her. It ended up working out but there were a few hours where I thought I might have to get out of bed and get in a taxi after her. Saturday, we had plans to go watch Sean play rugby while Stephs ex Erik was in town. The plans were changed last minute because of a stupid glitch and we just ended up eating my favorite Spar sandwich and talking. After a nap, we all made dinner together and got ready for Halloween in Dublin.

Let me just say that the night didn't turn out as expected. It was Erica's 21st day and her family was visiting from the states. So her little sister ended up coming out with us. Now I am a little sister and an older sister. I know all too well what its like to be the annoying younger sister and the annoyed older sister. When your younger and this little person comes into your life who is cuter, funnier, and smaller then you.. there isn't much you like about them. They are annoying. They take all the attention. They take your toys.. get you in trouble.. the annoyances that a little sister poses on your life are endless. So when your turning 21.. a day that is supposed to be a night of lots of drinking and all about you..and you find yourself in the position of having your younger sister around watching guys flirt and buy her drinks.. its never a recipe for anything good. Don't get me wrong my little sister is one of my best friends but there are some things and sometimes where you just want it all about you. Tho 21 may not be your wedding day.. its a pretty deal. Needless to say the night got ugly. Everyone drank way too much and tears were shed by multiple parties, including yours truly. Every other night there would have been a line of taxi's waiting outside of Temple bar, but on Halloween there were lines for taxi's everywhere. And I ended up wearing my cotton coat and of course it rained. So we ended up waiting in the pouring rain for about an hour or so. By the time I got home by 5am..I took a hot shower because I couldn't feel anything..crawled in bed with a cup of tea and then spilled the tea all over my bed and Ipod. So I think it goes without saying there is nothing about Halloween that I want to repeat in the future. I woke up on Sunday a little traumatized from the night before and decided to get up and do my laundry.. it wasn't open so I went and sat with the ducks at the pond and did some self reflection. While a lot can be said for drinking a lot and getting upset, I feel like sometimes those feelings that come out are feelings that should be looked at and try to find the deeper meaning to them. Maybe I over think things too much.. Obviously slowing down on the drinking is one of the best solutions to upset feelings but even if you don't drink those feelings are still inside of you. Soo I just took some time to think them over. I came back to my room and found out from Annabelle that Ben and Jerry's was giving out free ice cream in temple bar at a chocolate festival. To which I texted Steph "Get out of bed, we are going to get free ice cream" We decided after a night like Halloween that a day to eat our feelings would be just the thing we all needed. So Tom, Steph, Annabelle and her friend and I went to the chocolate festival. It was the best 2 euro brownie I ever had and free ice cream is just amazing on principle. After the chocolate festival we decided to go to Hard Rock Cafe for lunch/dinner. No one was really impressed. The place was tiny and the service was horrible. Eating out in Ireland has the worst waiters and waitresses. Because tips are required, it takes forever to get your drinks let alone your meal. I think its kind of a catch 22. They don't get tips so they don't perform well enough to get tips. If I received better service I would probably tip but anyways. We had a little photo session with James Joyce.. Jmac told me it was imperative that I get a photo for him.

Being that Nov 1 was Erica's official birthday we decided to stay in the city and meet her for beer and football at Wool Shed's. I think I have watched more sports in Ireland then I have in my entire life. Crazy.. who would have thought. After 2 months, I finally got my wings!!! They were decent.. a little small for my taste but they were close enough to American buffalo wings. The Eagles won (Sean was happy, Erica wasn't) We headed back to UCD around 10 and I was in bed and sleeping by 12. I didn't get anything done for school but to be honest it was prolly one of the best leisurely days I've had in Dublin. I think we have finally gotten to the point where we are comfortable walking around at our own pace and actually know where we are and how to get places without too much confusion. After a night like Saturday, I think we all just needed a day to recoup from the madness that was Halloween. I also managed to buy myself a Jacket at Gap and a few long sleeved cotton shirts. I bought the jacket just in time because the sale ended on Sunday and it seems that the weather has take a turn for the colder. Soo I got my jacket 30% off and plus another 10% because Tom knew the guy working. Shopping is like a sport to me. Finding exactly what I need when I need it is like winning a game. And the amount that I saved on the item are my points. Haha.. I am officially a huge dork. I have to go work on some papers before I leave for London this weekend. Good Evening Dublin and Good Afternoon America.

1 comment:

  1. A chocolate festival? Now there's something I can get behind! BTW, in my experience Hard Rock Cafes are over-rated what with their homogenized menu choices and homogenized service. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete