Tuesday, October 6, 2009

from one sister to another..

so its come to my attention that my little sister has been thrown into the new world of boys. not that they didn't exist before but rather she has been hit with the inevitable can't think, can't sleep, can't function crush. it plagues the best of us.. and being the hopeless romantic that I am.. I have had my fair share.

Dear Libber Joe,

I wish that I could tell you the secret to dealing with this new world you have been thrown into. After all I was chasing boys in 3rd grade at recess and was called a flirt by 6th grade. You would think I had all the secrets..alas.. I'm 22 and I still get crushes that don't quit. But I have picked up some things along the way that may ease some of the pain.

1. Bad Boys are fun to hang out with but you never want to get truly involved with them. They make you feel a little dangerous..They are generally good kissers (because they have kissed soo many people) and they have that whole mystery thing down pat. But you never want to get close enough where they will bring you down. You should probably date one in your life but keep a safe distance..

2. You can't save anyone. I put this after the bad boy one because well.. its some complex girls have. we always want to save the guy. The only person you can save is yourself. If you want to break up with someone and they do the whole "omg im going to die without you.. im going to kill myself." You have a bigger problem then you can handle and should find someone else to deal with it.

3. If a boy likes you..he will find time to call you. They say they are going to call. They say that they are going to text you later. But its the guy that actually likes you that actually does it. And if you have a boyfriend who usually calls you all the time or hangs out with you all the time and then stops. You have a problem. Nothing good comes from total communication to a dead line. Also texts messages..if he really likes you..he will call you. I am beginning to believe that texts are the end of romance..its the least amount of effort to keep your attention.

4. If you feel like something isn't right. Then it isn't right. They may say that you are being crazy, psycho, bitchy, or irrational. But seriously, every time I thought something was wrong or off. It was. So don't let them make you feel like you are the crazy one. this extends to girls flirting..him not calling.. not that you should be controlling but believe me..you will know the feeling when it hits you.

5. There are going to be lots of guys. I know when I was 16.. Don said to me "Meg, your going to break hearts and have your heart broken by tons of guys" and of course I didn't believe him. But seriously, there will be more then just one guy.Its when you least expect it that another one will pop out in front of you.

6. When you go on a date.. I hear most girls don't eat alot because they don't want to look like pigs. I have never in my life watched what I ate on a date for fear of looking fat. In fact if that is true and there are guys out there like that.. why the hell would you want to date someone like that anyway.. soo seriously the only thing I was ever conscious of on a date was the price of what your ordering. Boys your age don't have a steady in flow of cash soo just watch how much your meal costs. Always offer to help pay (even if they don't expect you too its a nice thing to do and always bring enough money to pay for yourself.. ooo and offering to cover the tip is nice too)

7. When a guy calls for you the first couple of times and you have that awkward silence bc neither of you know what to say.. I have always found the best way to get to know someone on the phone is if you play the Questions game. You know.. stuff like: Whats your favorite color, whens your birthday, whats your middle name. It relieves some of the tension and it also lets you take notes on things that are important and that means if the relationship goes anywhere you can surprise him later on birthdays and holidays. Guys get very impressed when you remember random things. Soo keep mental notes.

8. Now lets say you really like someone and then he asks you out and then it feels weird. While most of my friends thought i was crazy.. if it didn't feel right then I didn't stay in it very long. Which leads me too..

9. Now call me a hopeless romantic.. call me picky.. or maybe I just listened to Cher too much as a child.. I am a firm believer in the kiss says everything. If you kiss a guy and its gross or its just weird.. then I wouldn't waste your time. Though.. sometimes it just takes time to make it work.. ur young soo you have to figure out what works for you. Only you can tell if a kiss has potential. BTW: First Kisses are something your going to remember so don't just waste it on some guy you could careless about. When you have your first kiss you want it to mean something (as much as it can mean at 16)

10.Ahh and there will be the inevitable guy best friend. Now he will be someone you have been friends with for awhile.. he is always there to give you advice and listen to you and eventually one day he will get the balls to tell you.. he has a thing for you. And you will start to wonder if you were actually supposed to be together.. you get along well right? he makes you laugh.. soo hey why not give it a shot...the kiss is a good indicator.. but also if you don't feel the same its best to be honest about it. If he is ur true friend then he will get over it and understand. and if he can't get over it and won't be your friend still then he wasn't your friend to begin with. But then again sometimes it just takes time for him to heal his heart.. and when he is healed you can be friends again.


11. You never let a guy come before your friends. This is more important when you actually have a boyfriend. You have to figure out how to create a balance between the two. Its not easy.. it will feel like you are being pulled in two different directions. But if you talk about it with them and try to spend your time equally you should be ok.

Alrighty that should be good for now.. its late.. I gotta get some sleep. If all else fails you can just ask me.. I love you, Lib. Don't worry.. your going to break plenty of hearts ;-)


Love,

Marglo

5 comments:

  1. that's some of the best advice i've ever heard for dealing with men... im impressed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a teen I used to think that I wanted an older brother. Now, I feel that having an older sister - one like you - would have been the best medicine for me. Your sister is blessed to have you as a sibling. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A stunning, comprehensive, list of important tips for young daters!

    I'm sending it to my daughters.

    I think you should tweak it a bit for publication and send it in to some online site for teens. Maybe some money and definitely something nice to put on your resume!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great advice - makes me wish I had an older sister. I'm big sis to a brother and the advice I gave was a little different. I'm printing this out for my girls to read.

    ReplyDelete