Tuesday, December 15, 2009

finals and headaches

finals ended up being not so great. on the bright side all the studying i did for pagan celts and hero tales managed to pay off. I wrote 5 essays and was pretty confident about them. on the not so bright side i managed to get a migraine in the beginning of my hero tales final.

about a year ago, I woke up with the worst headache of my life. it turned out to be one of the scariest days of my life as well. the headache was so bad I couldn't keep anything down even after there was nothing left in me. And it quickly escalated to me not being able to answer simple questions such as "what time is it" or even writing my own name. It was as if something had turned off in my brain and there were no connections being made from my thinking to me being able to put things into action. Needless to say I saw a neurologist afterwards and she explained everything and sent me on my way with a hand full of medicine should it ever happen again. It seems to happen about every 6 months that I get a blinding migraine that leaves me in my room unable to move. Sensitivity to light is a big factor.

The Irish don't take finals like the Americans do. Its alot more strict and is alot more stressful. I felt like I was taking the SAT again. they send you to an offcampus sight where its easily 1500-2000 students in 1 room and the lights in the room are horrible. so has they shown down on me.. I could feel the migraine starting to swiral around in my brain. I tried to finish the exam as quickly as possible but it didn't help that it look the people about a half hour to collect my test. When I got home, Sean had made me an amazing dinner that I couldn't eat.

The thing about the migraines that make them scary at least to me is that they are pretty much unpredictable. They have a mind of their own and its really just me going along for the painful ride.. and I've never been away from home or away from my neurologist when I had one. So I took all my medicine and went to sleep. I still woke up and got sick even though the medicine is supposed to prevent that from happening. It was in that moment I knew that it was my bodies way of saying it was time to come home.

I still woke up and went to my last final on Tuesday..but being that I couldn't study the night before I don't think I did very well. Sometimes you just have to accept when there is nothing you can do about it and just move on. It is a little disappointing because Sociology was the closest class to my major but there is nothing I can do about it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment