Monday, December 7, 2009

coming up to the finish line..

Well I've managed to woke up this morning and see the finish line right in front of me. I woke up at 7am and finished my feminism final and passed it in by 8:30. Not my best piece of work but after about 3000 words you can't help but ramble. Today I have an exam at 3:00 (Pagan Celts) and 6:00 (Hero Tales). Its nice to get the two exams that are connected out of the way the same day, though studying for them was a bit daunting because it was the same stuff over and over again since Wednesday. Last night around 7, I hit my "If I don't know it now, I'm not going to know it tomorrow morning" slump. I always reach it. It feels like your brain has been expanded so much that to fit anything more in would just be too much. All my exams this semester are essay questions.. its a blessing and a curse. While I generally can b.s a paper without too much effort.. b.sing a paper that I have no prior knowledge on the subject is more like pulling teeth. At this point though I feel like I have the bare bones and the basic grasp of these things the Irish call tales. By the end of the day there should be a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. (Hopefully)

Not only have I been studying since Wednesday. I also managed to have an allergic reaction to the medicine that the doc gave me. My Mother managed to not inform me that my father is allergic to amoxicillin. I would have thought that would be information that you would include with what my blood type is but I guess not. Soo I noticed bumps like bug bites that didn't itch all over my body. it took a few days bc there were a few on my arm but then they grew in number and then started going from my arms, to my neck, to my stomach and to my back. I stopped taking the medication and on Saturday I called the doc and was told to go to the St. James Hospital clinic. Soo Annabelle and I hopped a cab and went down to the hospital. She gave me another slip and a note that could technologically get me out of my exams till the 12th but I was told its a real bitch and a half trying to retake exams
here.

So while all of this is going on I also have the wedding and the arrival of DeeDee to prepare for. I have started to pack up my room. While it may seem premature, I have noticed that I need to do things like packing up my life in stages to help make the process a little more bare-able. Anyways, back to the wedding soo I decided that I wanted to look for a dress. Fashion in Ireland, lets just say its not really my style. I wouldn't say that I dress conservatively but I guess my style is more of a classic look then anything else. I wear alot of cotton and go for more simple verses fussy. I remember getting in fights with my mother as a kid about clothes and what I would and wouldnt wear. There may have been battles. I hated things that were puffey and that itched and baggie. I may not have been the easiest child to dress. So here in Ireland, the fashion is the shorter the better. And the quality for the price is just not something I can bring myself to pay for. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind spending the money on something that will last but something paper thin isn't worth 100 euro to me. Not any day of the week.

So after looking in 100 stores trying to find something that didn't show off too much skin, after all one of the things Mommy said to me was : Don't embarrass DeeDee. So being that I am going to a wedding with Deedee and to an event that culturally is different then anything I've been to before, I figured the more conservative the better. Soo I walked into Laura Ashley. I remember my Mother dressing me in Laura Ashely clothes as a little girl. I found a black dress that was simple and on sale. Yes, On sale. http://www.lauraashley.com/Dresses/FLORAL-PRINTED-WAIST-DRESS/invt/md643blackp The only thing was.. it was a bit too long. I looked a little like a 12 year old. I'm 22, you would think this wouldn't be an issue but sadly it is ( i know i won't mind when im 40 and i look 30). So I didn't buy the dress then, I held off, but sometimes this thing happens where I'll find something and its like it just calls me for days after. That is generally when I go back and buy it. Soo on Saturday I went back, looked at the dress again and the sales women told me a place close by to have it shortened. Because I decided that if the dress was just shorted to about my knee it would be perfect. I'm really excited to pick it up on Wednesday. :-)

I think I may be making a last and final trip in Ireland on Wednesday to Belfast. It would end up being a really long day but being that its been finals and I've been soo worn out I haven't really been able to see any more of Ireland. I have this inkly of a feeling that I'll be back so its not that big of a deal, but I just sometimes wish that I had more time. But, don't we all. Alrighty, time to get back to studying.

Good Morning Ireland and Good Morning America.

No comments:

Post a Comment